W H E R E T O S T A Y -
Truth be told by the time we confirmed that Kyle would be able to get the time off of work 90% of the airbnb’s in downtown SF were already booked and the remaining 10% were way out of our price range. We ended up staying in the cutest yurt in Oakland which included the sweetest sunbathing pup ;) and opted to take the BART into the city each day. Is it weird that I really enjoy taking the rail transportation when visiting new cities?
Technically we had less than 48 hours to spend in SF, which boils down to roughly 5, potentially 6, meals. Don’t judge me for planning EVERY trip around our eating schedule - food is life. By the time we rolled into town, checked into our Airbnb and made it into the city, it was time to get some grub. Being our 1st wedding anniversary and desperately wanting to channel the Italian ambiance, there was only one sensible option for dinner – authentic pizza! I discovered Tony’s Pizza Napoletana by chance and Kyle and I both agreed it was fate. The owner Tony, has won 13 world pizza championships and apparently they import all of their ingredients from the pizza capital of the world, Napoli. Now, I’ve actually had authentic pizza in Napoli and I’m going to keep it real with you, nothing, I repeat, NO-THING will ever compare to the real deal buuuut let’s just say the gluten + dairy coma was worth it for Tony’s. We kept it classic and got the margherita. We had calamari as an appetizer which was delish but completely unnecessary as we had no freaking clue how GIANT our pizza was going to be.
We opted to order our pizza to go because we wanted to picnic at Crissy field to enjoy beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge as we sipped on the limonchello we brought home from our wedding in Italy. Our pizza box was literally so big it hardly fit in the back seat of our Uber, I’m not even kidding. All this to say, it was totally worth it! There was even a sax player serenating another couple next to us which really played into the romantic vibes of the evening. Our anniversary picnic was hands down my favorite night of the whole trip.
W H E R E T O E A T -
Places we had the time to eat at:
Bluestone Lane – Australian style café serving toasts, seasonal bowls, coffee & wellness lattes. Gluten free, dairy free and nut free options. We got the salmon toast and avocado toast on gf bread as well as the almond oatmeal. Everything was de-lish!
Judahlicious – Vegan café & Juice bar. We happened to already be in the neighborhood checking out General Store and the other cute little shops along Judah Street. Judahlicious is located in the cutest neighborhood away from the craziness of DT San Francisco. They have vegan eats, acaÍ bowls, salads, juices, smoothie and if you make it there before 2 GF waffles that look BOMB!
Gracias Madre – Plant based & Organic Mexican food that was INCREDIBLE! I can’t even remember what we ordered but it was all mouth watering. Highly recommend.
Jane on Fillmore – Super cute café with loads of healthy eats and drinks. Surprise, surprise, we got the avo mash and smoked salmon platter, with a side of gf banana bread – so delish!
Places we WISHED we had the time to eat at:
As Quoted –
café style, seasonal, local and organic ingredients.
Belcampo Meat Co –
grass fed burgers, bone broth
to-go style healthy salads and sandwiches
Little Gem –
gluten, dairy & refined sugar free – weekend brunch, lunch and dinner
Native Co. SF –
Fresh food, juices and smoothies made from locally sourced incredients
Project Juice –
smoothies, wellness shots + lattes, grab n’ go bites
The Plant Café Organic –
Seasonal, organic eats. They have bowls, burgers, breakfast, smoothies and juices – tons of options and quality ingredients
Wholesome bakery –
gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free goodies
photo taken at battery spencer
Sights + Activities:
Rent bikes! We got a serious work out in riding the hills in downtown SF. It was such a fun way to see the city.
Battery Spencer — for the best views of the Golden Gate with the city in the background. FYI – you have to cross the bridge to get there! Go at sunrise for the prettiest light.
Painted Ladies – classic must see. It’s actually really funny to look at everyone on the hill just staring at a row of houses. I mean, think about it haha.
Crissy Field – it’s where we picnicked. It’s such a beautiful spot along the bay.
Farmer’s Market at the Ferry Building on Saturday’s. It’s close to the marina and such a fun spot to walk around at.
If you’re an Oregon Duck fan head to The Wreck Room. We happened to be in town for the opening game of the season and it was an experience to be around that many Duck fans, not in a stadium, in a completely different city. Super cool!
Things we didn’t get to but are classic SF sights :
Golden Gate Park (we drove past and It. Is. Beautiful! I can’t wait to be back so we can spend a day walking the park!)
Take a ride on the Cable Car System